Do you need some extra motivation when it comes to language learning? Even though most of us will agree that it pays to be bilingual, it can be difficult to remain optimistic when the journey to multilingualism feels like a never-ending road trip with countless dead ends.
The following quotes are a simple reminder that learning another language opens our minds and can lead to unforeseen opportunities. Do you have another quote to add to this list? Share it with us in the comments section below!
1. If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his own language, that goes to his heart.
2. One language sets you in a corridor for life. Two languages open every door along the way.
3. The limits of my language are the limits of my world.
4. Learn everything you can, anytime you can, from anyone you can; there will always come a time when you will be grateful you did.
5. Learning is a treasure that will follow its owner everywhere.
6. You can never understand one language until you understand at least two.
7. To have another language is to possess a second soul.
8. Those who know nothing of foreign languages know nothing of their own.
-Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
9. Language is the road map of a culture. It tells you where its people come from and where they are going.
-Rita Mae Brown
10. Language is the blood of the soul into which thoughts run and out of which they grow.
-Oliver Wendell Holmes